Everyone Teaches You Something...
They say that everyone comes in to your life for a reason, everyone teaches us something and helps to shape who we are. As my best friend in work left this week it got me thinking about what she added to my life, and what she taught me. Over the past 10 months I've spent almost every day with her for 8 hours a day and I can honestly say she has influenced me a lot and has shaped who I am or at least who I want to be. I feel like making a list of all the things she taught me, so here we go...
- Beauty comes from within. I've heard this so many times but she proved it to me. She wears zero make-up, never paints her nails or wears fake tan she is just totally natural and gorgeous. She doesn't need all that because she is such a kind and positive person and that's what makes her truly beautiful. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop wearing make-up because I love it but I know that it doesn't really count towards true beauty.
- Be you and don't care what anyone thinks. She is so confident in herself and her uniqueness, somethings she does are a bit outside the box and not typically 'cool' in society but she doesn't try to hide it from people, she is like 'This is me, this is what I like, I don't care what you think' and she makes me realise I can do what I want and be whoever I want to, without fear of judgement.
- Smile more! She was always smiling. That had such a positive effect on me every day in work and it make me realise the power of a smile. I want to smile more so I can have a positive effect on other people too.
- Success does not define you. It doesn't matter if you finished uni, have a degree, or have a super good career. What really defines you as a person is your attitude and your vision of the world.
- How you treat others is the most important thing. Before, I wouldn't have put much effort into my treatment of others. I mean, I was always nice to everyone and never rude but now I feel like going above and beyond to be extra kind towards people because I saw the effect her being like that had on me and others. Just simple things like saying 'hello name' with a friendly smile to everyone in work when you see them first. It sounds really silly but it has such a warm effect.
They are just a handful of things she taught me. I hate goodbyes and I'm super sad I won't see her everyday any more but I'm glad I got to know her because as cheesy as this all sounds she really inspires me to be better. Yeah, this has to be my cheesiest post ever!
I would love to know if there is someone in your life that you feel has a positive influence on you! Do let me know in the comments ;)