2014 Life Lessons
I'm all about sharing my life lessons on here in a bid to spread some new found wisdom, so I thought why not share some little things I have learned throughout the past 12 months. Remember, these are just my personal opinions based on some of my experiences throughout the year so it's totally fine to disagree!
- We shouldn't want to change ourselves: For a long time I have wanted to change certain aspects of myself. I wanted to be different, to be a more extroverted and an out-going person. I would look at other people who were the heart of the party, and who could talk for hours to people they have just met. I always wished I could be that person. But this year I've realised that I'm never going to be like that, it's just not me. I am shy, I find it hard to talk to new people, I'm self-conscious of what people might think. So what? that's me. It takes all different kinds of people to make the world so I should just accept who I am and be the best version of that person. Besides, I'd rather people like me even though I am shy and quiet rather than liking me for being someone I'm not.
- You can't make anyone love you: No matter how hard you try. No matter how lovely, kind and funny you are. No matter how God damn gorgeous you make yourself look. No matter how much fun you try to have with a person. There is no way to make someone love you. They either do or they don't. The reason for either is something no one can ever put their finger on, I guess it's chemistry.
- Don't take what anyone says at face value: Another slightly negative one but I'm being honest here. I have learned not to believe everything everyone says. Don't expect too much from people. People consciously say things they want you to hear. When I look back on the year, there are so so many situations where peoples words and actions have totally contradicted each other. Be very cautious when it comes to trusting people.
- True friendship never dies: It doesn't matter how long you have gone without seeing or speaking to them, true friendship never dies. The next time you see each other you pick right up where you left off and the love and appreciation for each other is still there. I am so happy to have re-kindled old friendships this year.
- Create your own happiness: Depending on other people to make you happy is only going to end badly. I do this way too much, I still do it but I've been made aware of it this year and I'm trying to stop. I'm not saying that your friends, family, relationships shouldn't make you happy. Of course they should! But one person should never be the be all and end all of your happiness. If you make some one your everything, and you lose them, you are left with nothing.
So these are five things I have learned this year! I'm sure there's lots more but these are the main ones that come to mind and that I feel are worth sharing. I would love to hear what you think of them in the comments and let me know if there's any great life lessons you have learned throughout the year!